Friends, can you believe that it's already May!?! That means that it's time to officially open Gatewear orders!!
TL;DR: You can place your Gatewear order for 2023 from now until June 15. Place your order in good faith that you'll work 3+ shifts, but know that there are no refunds if you decide later you don't want to work. See below for details.
Of special note:
- We were able to negotiate to keep everything at the same price it was last year, which given the supply chain and shipping costs we're still seeing is pretty remarkable.
- Personalized mugs are BACK, BAYBEE! Logo on one side, your name on the other. Super stoked to be able to bring these bad boys back for y'all again. Also back: less expensive, laser-engraved (just not customized) travel mugs (fitted so you can use them on perimeter shift in the cup holders)*
- The super slinky slouchy scoop-neck shirts we came to know and love last year? Swipe right, my friends, they're back again this year. Get it.
- For the first time ever, you can get the Evergreen logo on a shirt! Limited run, this is an experiment, but if you've worked 3+ shifts across *any* year in GP&E you can order the new Evergreen logo t-shirt. This batch will be pick-up-on-playa ONLY. The post-event sale (more on that below) is where you can order for shipping if you're not working this year.
- I don't know, a 5th thing, probably.
If you're new-ish to the department, this might seem like a bit of a shock. I mean, shifts aren't even up in Babalooey yet! GingerBeer and Xander, what gives?? Well sit down, children, and let us tell you...
While the last couple of years have seen the ordering process happening much later in the season because: reasons, since 2016 we've had a detailed work back schedule for Gatewear which takes into consideration things like the logo contest, the timing needed to liase and negotiate with vendors, and questions like "exactly how many stitches can a patch embroidery machine stitch per inch per hour?", "precisely how long does it take a small team of humans to screen print 1500+ pieces?", and importantly "what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"
And while the last couple of event cycles have stretched us in ways we never really anticipated and which have not always been pleasant, the good news is that we're back on target this year.
What does that mean for you? So glad you asked.
- Gatewear is OPEN FOR ORDERS. You can order your stuff, for pickup on-playa at the 2023 Burning Man event.
- Orders close JUNE 15 at 5pm Pacific. You have over a month to get yourself squared away, determine whether you'll work the requisite 3+ shifts with the department this year, and hit that "buy" button.
- We're operating in good faith. We know you can't sign up for shifts yet. That's okay! When you order, you're agreeing that you WILL sign up for and work the required shifts to earn your stuff. If, when it comes down to it, you end up *not* working enough shifts, you forfeit your order - no refunds. These are custom orders made specifically for you, so if you opt out of working you fork over those custom pieces to us. No takesies backsies, sorry friends. We'll be consulting shift rosters and working with the Volunteer Coordination team on this, per usual.
- We'll have a post-event sale again after this event. If you're not sure whether you'll work enough shifts and don't want to risk it, just hold off. If you're not in a place financially to order pre-event, no sweat. For whatever reason you don't want to commit now? ALL GOOD FRIENDO. You can order 2023 gear post-event (in, like, December, for delivery in late January/early February). Easy peasy.
So! If you're a veteran in our department and plan to work 3+ shifts this year, you may now pre-order Gatewear for pickup on-playa in August/September. Rest assured, we'll check the rosters once they're up to make sure you're signed up for the shifts, so please don't order unless you're dedicated to 3+ shifts at Dusty Summer Camp 2023.
Questions? Let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org). We can't wait to see you out in the dust this year.
Good luck, and don't fuck it up (where our Drag Race fans at?!),
GingerBeer and Xander
*So many more things are do-able when we have the right amount of time to do our jobs, y'all! It's thrilling! <3